| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
Michael Darnton Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2007 Posts: 1347 Location: Chicago
|
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:18 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| I think the sided views are of the other del Gesu they have... |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
MANFIO Super Member

Joined: 11 Apr 2007 Posts: 458 Location: Sao Paulo
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Michael Darnton Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2007 Posts: 1347 Location: Chicago
|
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:35 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| I do not know how it sounds, but my favorite del Gesu is the King. It's a beautiful violin, in great shape. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
CT Dolan Member
Joined: 29 Jun 2008 Posts: 143
|
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:03 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| I'm far too capricious to have the ability to choose a favorite, but as time goes on I find myself drawn all the more to the earlier ones, those from 1730-1741/42. Some of these instruments are just gorgeous in form and conception and while their personality may not be quite as stark (there will always be an enthusiasm I cannot escape in the late scrolls of del Gesu), nor the dark power of their voice as lauded as those from del Gesu's final "Golden Period", in my opinion these earlier works stand as supreme hallmarks of the maker's contribution to history. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
John Cadd Super Member
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 Posts: 1346 Location: Hoylake
|
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:36 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Most copied------certainly not Carlo Giussepe Testore 1703 but they say an orchestral player will snatch your hand off for one.If you want to avoid running with the crowd that would be a mischievous suggestion.No pufling on the back.Just sratched lines and some ink.That`s what I call charm. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
CT Dolan Member
Joined: 29 Jun 2008 Posts: 143
|
Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:45 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| How widely copied is the 1745 del Gesu Leduc? I understand that the model is not in all respects ideal (the long arch, in particular), but the sound is so unbelievably seductive, how can a maker possibly resist!?! I keep getting lured into thinking that this must be "the one" (every time I listen to my copy of Szeryng playing the Bach S&P's, in fact), but then I am reminded to tread very lightly with the Leduc. What of the soundholes, though, their position and length? How might (or must) this help free the top? What of the arching overall, and the "pinched" cross-arches? All I have to do is hear this violin, and for me the question ends right then and there, but I am not experienced so anything is possible in the world of my imagination. Michael, what are your thoughts (I'm dying to know what you think of this instrument)? Many thanks. -Chris |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Michael Darnton Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2007 Posts: 1347 Location: Chicago
|
Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:18 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Hey, if you like it, why not? |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
CT Dolan Member
Joined: 29 Jun 2008 Posts: 143
|
Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:52 am Post subject: |
|
|
So, in other words, "Just Do It"? It worked for del Gesu, so why not for me? Yeah, that was meant to be a sarcastic joke (but there is some truth behind it as well, or else why try?). Thank you for helping to give my inspiration some room to move around a bit, to feel comfortable  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
CT Dolan Member
Joined: 29 Jun 2008 Posts: 143
|
Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:36 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Listening to the Strad 3D audio of the Titian, and all I can say is WOW!!! Man, very different voice from the Leduc, but beautiful nonetheless. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Dave Chandler Super Member
Joined: 31 Oct 2007 Posts: 691 Location: Mt Mitchell in North Carolina
|
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:32 am Post subject: Most Copied |
|
|
I've got blueprints for "The Messiah" Strad which I purchased with a lot of useless junk on Ebay a few years ago. I'd be pleased to make and send a copy of someone wants to pay for making the copy and postage.
Also, I would like to make an Amati, if anyone has a poster or blueprint to share?
 _________________ Dave in the Blue Ridge
Southern Violin Association
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill
"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
John Cadd Super Member
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 Posts: 1346 Location: Hoylake
|
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:10 pm Post subject: |
|
|
I came across an article in an old Strad magazine last week that made me smile. A millionaire was hell bent on getting as many famous violins away from America and back in Europe.Oh no,now I`ve revealed our dastardly plot.
Anyway does it matter in the early stages which model you choose?
You`re expecting to go one better already before you start eh? |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Dave Chandler Super Member
Joined: 31 Oct 2007 Posts: 691 Location: Mt Mitchell in North Carolina
|
Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:58 pm Post subject: Which model |
|
|
I don't have an opinion on which is better, I'm just curious to make an Amati. _________________ Dave in the Blue Ridge
Southern Violin Association
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill
"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Dave Chandler Super Member
Joined: 31 Oct 2007 Posts: 691 Location: Mt Mitchell in North Carolina
|
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:40 pm Post subject: Which model |
|
|
Amezcua:
Hope your millionaire doesn't have them all congregated in Dresden again . _________________ Dave in the Blue Ridge
Southern Violin Association
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill
"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|