Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the Most Widely Copied Violin?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Michael Darnton
Moderator


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 1347
Location: Chicago

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the sided views are of the other del Gesu they have...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
MANFIO
Super Member


Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Posts: 458
Location: Sao Paulo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, I know you like the Cannon, but of the 25 violins on Biddulph`s book about DG what would you choose to inspire you along with the Cannone?
_________________
www.manfio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Michael Darnton
Moderator


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 1347
Location: Chicago

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know how it sounds, but my favorite del Gesu is the King. It's a beautiful violin, in great shape.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
CT Dolan
Member


Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 143

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm far too capricious to have the ability to choose a favorite, but as time goes on I find myself drawn all the more to the earlier ones, those from 1730-1741/42. Some of these instruments are just gorgeous in form and conception and while their personality may not be quite as stark (there will always be an enthusiasm I cannot escape in the late scrolls of del Gesu), nor the dark power of their voice as lauded as those from del Gesu's final "Golden Period", in my opinion these earlier works stand as supreme hallmarks of the maker's contribution to history.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Cadd
Super Member


Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Posts: 1346
Location: Hoylake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most copied------certainly not Carlo Giussepe Testore 1703 but they say an orchestral player will snatch your hand off for one.If you want to avoid running with the crowd that would be a mischievous suggestion.No pufling on the back.Just sratched lines and some ink.That`s what I call charm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CT Dolan
Member


Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 143

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How widely copied is the 1745 del Gesu Leduc? I understand that the model is not in all respects ideal (the long arch, in particular), but the sound is so unbelievably seductive, how can a maker possibly resist!?! I keep getting lured into thinking that this must be "the one" (every time I listen to my copy of Szeryng playing the Bach S&P's, in fact), but then I am reminded to tread very lightly with the Leduc. What of the soundholes, though, their position and length? How might (or must) this help free the top? What of the arching overall, and the "pinched" cross-arches? All I have to do is hear this violin, and for me the question ends right then and there, but I am not experienced so anything is possible in the world of my imagination. Michael, what are your thoughts (I'm dying to know what you think of this instrument)? Many thanks. -Chris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Michael Darnton
Moderator


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 1347
Location: Chicago

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if you like it, why not?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
CT Dolan
Member


Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 143

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in other words, "Just Do It"? It worked for del Gesu, so why not for me? Yeah, that was meant to be a sarcastic joke (but there is some truth behind it as well, or else why try?). Thank you for helping to give my inspiration some room to move around a bit, to feel comfortable Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CT Dolan
Member


Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 143

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listening to the Strad 3D audio of the Titian, and all I can say is WOW!!! Man, very different voice from the Leduc, but beautiful nonetheless.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dave Chandler
Super Member


Joined: 31 Oct 2007
Posts: 691
Location: Mt Mitchell in North Carolina

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Most Copied Reply with quote

I've got blueprints for "The Messiah" Strad which I purchased with a lot of useless junk on Ebay a few years ago. I'd be pleased to make and send a copy of someone wants to pay for making the copy and postage.

Also, I would like to make an Amati, if anyone has a poster or blueprint to share?



_________________
Dave in the Blue Ridge
Southern Violin Association

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
John Cadd
Super Member


Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Posts: 1346
Location: Hoylake

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across an article in an old Strad magazine last week that made me smile. A millionaire was hell bent on getting as many famous violins away from America and back in Europe.Oh no,now I`ve revealed our dastardly plot.
Anyway does it matter in the early stages which model you choose?
You`re expecting to go one better already before you start eh?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dave Chandler
Super Member


Joined: 31 Oct 2007
Posts: 691
Location: Mt Mitchell in North Carolina

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Which model Reply with quote

I don't have an opinion on which is better, I'm just curious to make an Amati.
_________________
Dave in the Blue Ridge
Southern Violin Association

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dave Chandler
Super Member


Joined: 31 Oct 2007
Posts: 691
Location: Mt Mitchell in North Carolina

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Which model Reply with quote

Amezcua:
Hope your millionaire doesn't have them all congregated in Dresden again Wink .
_________________
Dave in the Blue Ridge
Southern Violin Association

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group